Apprenticeships and traineeship FAQ, Victoria

What areas do you service?

While our offices are in Colac and Geelong, we offer traineeships and apprenticeships services Victoria-wide, including:

Melbourne, Ballarat, Ocean Grove, Lorne, Barwon Heads, Anglesea, Swan Hill, Bendigo, Apollo Bay, Bacchus Marsh, Shepparton, Horsham, Sunbury, Croydon, Benalla, Myrtleford, Rochester, Charlton, Donald, Minyip, Wycheproof, Birchip, Charlton, St Arnaud, Berwick, Mornington Peninsula, Hamilton, Stawell, Portland, Mount Gambier, Maryborough, Kyneton, Reservoir, Dandenong, Warragul, Wonthaggi, Lakes Entrance, Echuca, Seymour, Swan Hill, Shepparton, Ararat, Horsham, Sale, Mildura, Stawell, Torquay, Portland, Traralgon, Bairnsdale, Melton, Morwell, Moe, Warrnambool, Wangaratta, Casterton, Hamilton, Maryborough, Wonthaggi and Kerang.

How often will I be paid as an apprentice or trainee?

Apprenticeship and traineeship jobs are paid weekly if you submit an authorised timesheet weekly through the VGTC Timesheet App.
This is the responsibility of the apprentice or trainee.   If you do not use the Timesheet App, click HERE to download a paper based time sheet.

How do I apply for holidays in an apprenticeship or traineeship?

Apprenticeship jobs and traineeship jobs are much the same as standard employment in that you would discuss having time off with your host employer and then submit your leave request through the Timesheet App.  Alternatively, if you don’t use the App, you can download a leave form here.

What happens if I get injured at work during my apprenticeship or traineeship?

If you are injured at work as an apprentice or trainee, you or your host employer must contact your Consultant at Victorian Group Training as soon as possible. 
You should also complete an accident and incident form found with the OH&S information on the Victorian Group Training website.

What happens if my boss runs out of work during my apprenticeship or traineeship?

On occasions in apprentice jobs or traineeships, host employers’ business needs can change and they might not have enough work to continue hosting an apprentice or trainee. If this happened, Victorian Group Training would work to place you with a new or temporary host employer.  In this process your apprenticeship or traineeship might have to be suspended but you could continue your training or trade school during the suspension.

Do I have to pay for my TAFE enrolment fee as an apprentice or trainee?

Yes, an apprentice or trainee is responsible for paying their own enrolment fee, but if you have a current low income card (health care card) you pay a reduced fee.
In some cases you might even be eligible for fee reimbursement. Speak with your Consultant at Victorian Group Training about this if you want to check your eligibility.

Fees for those carrying out school-based traineeships or school-based apprenticeships are different and you would also need to speak with a Victorian Group Training consultant about this.
Find out more about school-based apprenticeships and traineeships.

How soon can I be signed off as having completed my apprenticeship or traineeship?

Apprenticeships and traineeships are complete once you, your host employer and your training provider (TAFE) agree that all parts of your training plan have been fulfilled, meaning that you are competent in all areas required of an apprentice or trainee.

For other questions about apprentice jobs and traineeships, see our job seekers information about apprenticeships and traineeships or visit the Australian apprenticeships website.  Or you can contact Victorian Group Training and speak with one of our friendly team members.